Friday, April 6, 2012

Holiday Eating

So for Lent I gave up buying coffee drinks, such as Starbucks and Tim's. These two are my ON my way to work so it's very convenient. I have traded in the coffee drinks for steamed soy milk instead. I don't know if that's cheating or not, but it became a treat since it's so yummy. One cup of soy milk has 110 calories versus my usual Non-fat, no whip Toffee nut Mocha at 250 cal (tall). So I think I need to switch to my soy milk permanently and save the mochas for a real treat!

Today is Good Friday and it's easy to eat well today since we are fasting from snacking and treats. I have a whole salmon ready to prep for dinner and I've been looking for good recipes all afternoon on line. I love salmon, but grew up on mayo-based topping when we baked it. Today I am doing a low-cal dill and lemon topping.

Growing up in a Filipino household, veggies were encouraged but not really part of the daily diet. If you look up Filipino recipes, veggies are always cut, cubed, julienned or grated into the dishes. There are some popular veggie dishes but we were mostly meat eaters. After the birth of my children, I always wanted to make sure that they eat a lot of fruit and veggies. In fact, they are the kids that we have to encourage to eat their mac and cheese or pizzas at Red Robin's because they will eat the side of melon or cucumbers quickly.  I hope they keep it up.

As part of NO EXCUSES, I took the kiddies out to give them their daily activity. We went for a bike/scooter ride around the complex. I got my exercise by to trying to push-pull Little Miss on her first bike ride :) Best way to get some activity is to run around with my two "speed" demons!


No comments:

Post a Comment